Faeces as Food: Rabbits produce cecal pellets, sometimes called "night faeces," and re-ingest them to absorb the full nutritional content of their food.
Brown fur mixed with black hair; buff between shoulders, around eyes and under limbs; long, black-tipped ears; white hair underneath tail.
- Name: European Rabbit
- Latin Name: Oryctolagus cuniculus
- Family: Leporidae (Hares and Rabbits)
- Range: Europe and throughout world
- Habitat: Woodland, Grassland, Scrubby areas
- Diet: Grass, herbs, twigs, and bark
- Head and Body Length: (35 to 45 cm)
- Tail Length: 2 to 3 inches (4 to 7 cm)
- Weight: 3 to 5 pounds (1 to 2 kg)
- Conservation Status: Common